Wednesday 9 February 2011

no requests...

No I don’t have any minimal… No sorry no techno…No , no Madonna. Sorry… No I don’t have… No I don’t have…Ahhh I wish I did.. I really like her but I don’t have any of her tracks with me. Sorry… sorry.

I've given up. I've reached the point in the evening when I have dropped all pretense, of being cool.

I am not a dj after all, and the software I’m using is really just a slight advancement on i-tunes, and it’s a house party so…

F*** it. It’s time.

It’s time to dive straight into… unapologetically mainstream pop music.

Rhianna, Justin Timberlake, Sugacubes, Beyonce...

Bring it. I don’t’ care anymore.


And then comes this one girl. This blonde girl with short hair, her eyes staring past me to my laptop. Her hands practically straying to the keyboard, without so much of a hello in my direction. Her first words to me are


Where is the music?


Sorry?


How can I see it? your music? Where is it?


I show her where the archive of tracks is kept. She’s distracted for a second. I light my cigarette. Her expression changes. She’s found something she likes.


Ratatat. You like ratatat!!!


Ah musical bonding. Our friendship is cemented...


I love ratatat. I saw them at maria last year.


Does she want to hear something by them?


No.


Oh.. ok.


She smiles and walks off. I’m not sure what happened. But it makes me feel very self conscious about playing all this pop. Maybe i should be playing something, something, something... Balkan? Or maybe some electro swing? Or maybe...?

But scrolling through my msuic I stop when I see her that blonde girl...dancing. Hands in the air totally into it, singing along and dancing. And I'm baffled because of the tune that is now playing...


Brittany spears - toxic!!!!


This is what she wanted? Maybe there is some kind of science to these things but, Now I really don’t understand.


Anyways how am I to know? I am not a dj after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment